Sunday, October 13, 2024

Demolition & Construction of a Home in Petaling Jaya Part 9/9 (KITCHEN, FURNITURE, GRANITE SLABS, BATHROOMS, STEPS, MOVING IN )

This is the final Step. Taken me 3.5 years to Post this, but I am finally here. Here is the Finale everyone. Yes theres lots to cover again, but this wont be the end of the Home, it is a continuous journey, and with its downs and ups which will have its respectful postings as well. 

This was a very touugh, dark and tough time for me that really broke my spirit. On the 29th of April 2021, I had to put down my good old friend that had given me many beautiful memories during this phase of my life. It was heart breaking, very heartbreaking. It was the first time that I had to be in the presence of our Animal that was put to rest. Well Betsy, wherever you are, run free, fast and stay always on the Grass !

And if that was not enough, being this close to the end, here comes Muhyiddin again with MCO 3.0, this time, from 1st May - October the 28th, we had no business. We could not operate. Bars were allowed to open before us because of a Food licence, but not Manufacturing our furniture that we do was not allowed. 3 attempts of an approval all failed. We only got our approval days before the MCO was lifted. So here I was with no use for anything. It was very hopeless, funds were drying, I had no Betsy, and this would be the longest and loneliest my life would have been without a Dog. 

Manu businesses suffered. Some thrived, but many suffered and continue to this day. 

Moving on, nothing happens. For a long long LOOONG time. So what could I do except come to a Home, that I told myself I would not move into till prayers are done. Almost everyday. This was tough. 

Eventually, I decided screw it. I will get the bathroom downstairs working, and so, I did. I brought my drill and installed the sink, the tap, the hose, and we had a functioning bathroom finally. Like Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire where he is left in the Swamps for dead and ate off Rats and other animals slowly regaining his strength back again, thats how it was. 



1 Small victory done. Bathroom works.





I did some touching up on the walls where the Tile Aprons were not painted. Done


I ordered on Shopee some cheap Curtain hangers, nothing fancy, just some cheap wood ones so Curtains could be hung and installed them with my Drill once again.


Installing Curtain Rods


3rd August 2021. Yeah, the curtains are a little long and touch the floor, but it has to make space for the Aircond one day


My Drill was becoming my friendly tool and I was getting some shit done daily. Be it for 2 or 3 hours a day, I was doing something

Then came more small installations like the Bathrooms hand towel, toilet paper roll, and etc. I was getting stuff done. I am happy to work with my hands, and am not shy to. What I could do, I did.


BATHROOM FITTINGS

We got everything from Han Lim in Petaling Jaya, same road as MML Tiles. Everything was Johnsson Suisse. Nothing special to cover or talk about here


WINDOW GRILLS

1st May - 1st September

MCO 3.0 commences.

I decided that since we cant operate on our Furniture. I would come into the factory and continue using our worker as a fabricator for my Window Grills. I brought in myself and 1 worker to help me out. Its better than not doing anything at all. 

For our Window Grills, we were not going for a Cherasville Horizontal Square Hollow Tubing that made it look like a fashionable avant gard Prison (instead of vertical bars, bars go Horizontal)

I went for 3mm thick Flat Bars that were 12mm in thickness. Made a simple wooden template guide again and drew our Diamond shaped grills on the template for our worker to follow. This was a Labour Intensive process, but it was only for about 14 sets of these, so it was fine. 

I calculated the exact locations where holes needed to be so that our arms can reach the windows locks. Hence the shape being a diamond shape. A square shape didnt work unfortunately. 

It was a good blend of Old Fashion Grills and a somewhat Modern - Traditional home.

It was where I could channel my energy during this painful time and take away my mind off our Dog that had passed away



Simple Wooden Jig that had lines for guidance where to weld



Guidance



Continous expansion of Grills on template that could be used for 2, 3 or 4 window frames



Attempting to try out a Triangular shape for these window frames but decided not to go with them in the end




Our first Window Grill 



27th August - Put these in for Powder Coating in White




1st September, Grills are fully Installed






KITCHEN

1st May - 31st August

I couldnt believe that our Kitchen and Wardrobe installers got their approvals that allowed them to work. Our Granite supplier and installer cant work yet as we cant get our approvals. 

Even when factories were given their approvals later, in order for companies to renew their Installation Licences for foreign workers, the Labour Department was not working. WTF. This country is a JOKE.



Circa 1st May 2021, Carcasses are delivered (thats what they are called by the way)


1st May, no work, MCO 3.0



Lol, we brought our Microwave Oven so we could heat up some meals during this MCO and have lunch while I did some work I think. Tiles couldnt be installed till approvals were given. 



27th May, our Kitchen is finished for installation works by the Installer. Just Granite to install



Again, nothing moves, everything has to wait


Sigh


Just waiting for something to happen



Well, at least we have a Wardrobe, that cant be USED !



31st May, suddenly there were tiles



23rd August, grout finishing being done. Nothing for almost 3 months. Grout took 3 months to finish



27th August, Our Granite Slabs arrive for our Kitchen



Coordinating the Slabs



Unloading the Slabs



28th August, transporting this huge Granite Slab




Resting the Granite Slab into place. It was a MAAAAAJOR heavy and challenging piece.



Eh, but Granite is Black Maaaaa, yes it is. But this is the whitest Granite that you can find. Its called Viscount White and comes from South India specifically. 



Instillation begins to complete this Kitchen



Tape to hold things in place



It ONLY took 4 MONTHS to get it, but we finally have it in. Selected all by Wifey



The best dudes of the Hour



See this Happy Girl



" WOOOOOOOW ! " She is so Happy to have a Kitchen in finally. Just a few things left. She paid for it all by herself. Her design, her choice, everything.



Im not a fan of Black Taps, but in this case, it matches the Granite well as it has contrast




FURNITURE PIECES

30th Aug - 30 Sept 2021

As we were going to look at the basics needed first, we were going to need 

1. 1 Bed for starters
2. A couch to watch TV
3. Couches for a Hall downstairs

We didnt spend much money but made an offer on my parents bed that would have otherwise costed a lot a money to buy. We made an offer of RM 2,700 for a Serta bed that they had hardly ever used and was lying upstairs in their old bedroom. It would have costed us a LOT otherwise to buy a new bed. I got Serta to transport this bed for us. 

IKEA was proving to be a major difficulty obtaining Sofas as well because of shipping. We waited almost 4 months to see if they could replenish stock of what we wanted, and like MML Tiles, there was no answer and we had to move on. Luckily, we moved in the right direction with our decisions below in the images.

Pockets were drying out, so we had to be a bit resourceful. Whadya got to do ? Not everyone can eat a Nobu every evening or have steak thats prepared Medium Rare like lowyatters.




Packing up the old bed



Bringing it Home




They were really good these guys. See how having a large door helps functionally ? No issues on our steps too as they are 4.5 feet in Width




Finally in, We have a Bed. First Furniture piece in



Eeeeee, your bed not modern laaa. Yeees, I know, its not very sleek looking, but it works fine. I am grateful. Plus the colours all tie in together in the room so its fine.




5th September, we decided FUCK Ikea because they couldnt get our couch, so Harvey Norman it was in Petaling Jaya. It was a No brainer




We got this set which was around the sub 5k range which was a good deal. Exact same colour and everything. We didnt get the Ottoman. This would be used sepcifically for Dinner and TV purposes, and would be trashed to the max. I know it doesnt go in theme and looks like its meant to be in a fat Americans home or your Auntys home designed in the 90s, but I love this because it reclines like a Lazy Boy. Plus, the quality is better than IKEA's because its Made in Malaysia




Ok laaaaa, not bad whaaaaat, it all ties in. At least we didnt go for Purple, Dark Maroon, Orange, Mustard Yellow like Lowyatters would. We also didnt go for PVC or Leather because it would be hot and sticky. I know Cherasville people would have gone for Leather, especially to have it in their Karaoke room with interchangeable LED lights around their Cornices




And thats that !



MOVING IN

18th September 2021

I decided that we would move in on the 18th of September. Yes, things are not ready, but when is enough really enough to be ready to move in by ? When all the plants have been planted and grown well ? When all the touch ups have been done ?  We had suffered enough, waited enough, gone through enough and rubbed down enough. 

Now its time to Live and Move On. 

So we moved in. We had dinner, had a shower, and slept. 

We had a bed, we had a bathroom, we had a couch and a tv, thats all we needed first to move in. Far more luxurious than my parents that only had a mattress when they got married.

Even though the Home was not blessed, we had to move on first. Just go with the flow, and we would do this later in November when in our lives, we would suddenly have a Cat,....and a Dog again in our lives to fill this Home that we have worked hard all these years to build. 

Next will be about Post Moving in, where our drive way and Staircase carpet gets done, together with the problems we faced / facing. 

Ill have a separate topic on our Dog, because its a worthy story all in itself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

POST MOVING IN WORKS

We moved in on the 18th of September 2021, without having a fully completed home, but thats fine, its about taking it from there.  We did th...